14 Adults, 3 Infants, 1 Child Evacuated; 1 Dog Dead Because of a Kitchen Fire

Photo: ABC 6 News/Laura Lee.

November 19, 2017 11:01 PM

(ABC 6 News) -- 14 adults, 3 infants and 1 child were evacuated from a building at The Gates in northwest Rochester after a kitchen fire has started in one of the apartments.  The American Red Cross is helping an adult and a juvenile providing housing for them after this incident.  This information comes from the Rochester Fire Department. They also mentioned in a report that a dog has died in the fire. 

Extensive fire and smoke damage occurred in the apartment where the fire started. 6 other apartments also had some smoke damage to them. Overall, investigators estimate $50,000 in damage. 


On Sunday, around 4:20 pm, firefighters responded to a report of a kitchen fire at an apartment at The Gates on 41st St. NW.

Firefighters mentioned in a report that crews found smoke showing from the apartment with one woman trapped leaning out of a 2nd story window. They also said residents from the fire apartment reported that everyone was out of the apartment on fire.

Crews extinguished the fire and searched the building to make sure everyone was out of the building. 

Crews had to ventilate the building extensively as the smoke had migrated through a common attic to the building to the south as well as other apartments in the fire building.


Copyright 2017 - KAAL-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company


Most Read Stories

Accelerated Mobile Page by Relay Media.
See standard version.